Saturday, June 04, 2005

Moving?

We had "the talk" last night. The "are we staying or are we going" talk, not the "birds and bees" talk. I brought it up because I have baby fever baaaad. I want to wait until Alyssa is at least a year old because I was to continue to nurse until she's year old. Not that you can't nurse and be pregnant at the same time, but it can complicate things and its not that important to me to get pregnant right now. And I would like to be settled into a new house before having another baby. And as Adam pointed out . . . I wouldn't be able to help move if I were pregnant. (It would be like last summer's house painting all over again) So we started talking about moving . . . and we didn't really talk about staying in Omaha, we just talked about moving back East. (that's weird to me, you're supposed to say "back East", but that makes it sound like we've lived there before and I haven't) Anywhoo . . . I brought up the topic of looking into North Carolina as well as New Hampshire and Adam had actually had thoughts about NC, too, which was kind of weird. A sign, maybe? So Adam got on the computer downstairs to search for jobs and I got on the computer upstairs to scope out cost of living here compared to NC and NH and did a little checking into housing around NC. Adam was talking last night about moving as soon as August . . . I don't know if I'm ready for that. But I think there's always going to be a "let's just wait until after ____". We need to just bite the bullet and do it. Not that I feel like its the wrong decision, I just think its going to be a huge leap of faith. It would be a lot easier to just stay here, but I feel like we need to follow our dreams. We don't have to stay there forever if we hate it.

But I'm not really sure how I feel about seriously considering NC or NH.
1. Neither of us has ever been to NC. Adam has lived (and loved living) in NH and I trust his judgement.
2. NC isn't "New England" which is what I always dreamed of. But in my dream I lived in a little seaside community with a view of sailboats in the harbor out my front window, so that's probably not going to happen no matter where I live. (Unless we move to St. Thomas, and Adam did do job searches there!) Although a New England fall was in my dream, too . . . does NC get falls like that? Probably not.
3. NC isn't nearly as cold in the winter as NH. No 5 feet of snow from October - April weather there.
4. The ocean is warmer in NC ~ you can actually swim in it in the summer.
5. Cost of living is cheaper in NC (NC was about $5,000 more than NE and NH was $12,000 more)
6. NH is closer to a lot of "vacation" spots where we could go for a few days ~ Boston, Cape Cod, Washington DC, etc.
7. Dawson's Creek was filmed in NC as was "A Walk to Remember" ~ two of my favorites.
8. There are more job prospects in NC than in NH for Adam.
9. In NH we would be approximately 90 minutes from Paul and Pam, our only family out there. In NC we would be 8 hours from St. College and 11 hours from Meadeville. More family at a little more distance, but we could definitely spend holidays with the PA family whereas Paul and Pam would probably be more "get together for a weekend" type of family.
10. Wish I could think of a 10th thing to even out the list, but I can't.

Okay, so my list was supposed to be a NE vs NC/NH list, but I think it turned into a NC vs NH list. My list seems kind of silly, but it was on my mind, so I decided to put it down. And I would like to share these things with Adam, but maybe it would be easier to have him read them than for me to try to say them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you come to New Hampshire you are only a couple of hours from me! I would come visit.