Friday, May 26, 2006

Inspiration

My mom forwarded me an e-mail today (no big change there . . . she's starting to get a little bit predictable with the forwards and a wee bit annoying). It was filled with different "awe-inspiring" pictures and motivational quotes, but one of the quotes today really got to me. It was by Michael J Fox ~ who I greatly admire anyway because of all he has done for Parkingson's Disease research and the way that he has worked to tell the world about the challenges of PD. He is one of my all time heros. Anyway, the quote was:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection
Excellence, I can reach for
perfection is God's business"

This really hit me hard because I've struggled with putting unreasonable and unrealistic expectations on myself for a long time so that I could be perfect. Its a hard habit to break, especially when you can't really bring yourself to comprehend that its okay not to be perfect. The world is not going to fall apart if I'm not perfect. My friends will not leave me if I'm not perfect. Adam won't abandon me if I'm not perfect. Alyssa will not be taken away from me if I'm not perfect. I know it in my head, but my heart doesn't listen so good. But, I've been thinking today, that excellence isn't such a bad thing to work towards. Almost as good as perfection ~ just without so much pressure.

No comments: