Monday, June 23, 2008

Going Green

I'm not sure if its Adam's supreme desire to be more "green" or the fact that I'm growing up and becoming more mature or the influence of some of the moms on my moms' boards, but I find myself thinking more and more about being green from day to day.

The running joke in our house is that I'll proudly proclaim that I'm taking my canvas bags to the grocery store with me (to avoid using plastic bags). And then I'll add that I'm going to the grocery store in my big 'ole SUV. Kind of defeats the purpose, huh? ;)

Our garage company recently teamed up with this great website/program called RecycleBank where we are give points based on the amount that we recycle and then we can cash in our points for coupons off groceries, free movie tickets, gift certificates, etc. But I think its also really neat that when I sign into the website to check our "balance" it tells you how many gallons of oil and trees that you've saved from the amount that you've recycled. Kind of cool to have it in print.

I finally got the clothes line that I've been bugging Adam about since we moved in together 7 years ago a few weeks ago. Granted, its a small, retractable one that goes from the side of the house to the swing set and not a 4 lined, free standing "professional" one like my parents, but its a start. Today I felt very proud of myself for saving energy by line drying our sheets instead of drying them in the dryer. PLUS we get that great "freshly dried outside smell/feel" to our clean sheets. And we need all the freshness we can get after all the germs that have been floating around this joint the past few days.

Baby steps.

1 comment:

Mom23Boys said...

I wish I could do that!! Our neighborhood has a covenant that says no clotheslines though. I love that fresh outside smell!