Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My heart hurts. :(

I took Alyssa to her 2 year appointment today. She did a lot better than I expected, but the shots were pretty traumatic for both of us. They use grape flavored tongue depressors to check out the kids' mouths and then let them keep them and chew on them, which she usually thinks is pretty cool. Especially today since she's working on her upper 2 year molars. Until she jammed the thing into the back of her throat. While we were waiting for the nurse to come back and do shots. So unfortunately she was pretty hysterical before the shots even happened. I did get her calmed down in between "beatings", so at least I didn't have to hold down a screaming child for her 2 shots. She kept touching her legs ever so gently and then she would say "ouch mommy" and start crying again on the way home. It made it extra worse for me that I was so on the fence about getting her the flu shot and if I had just held my ground and refused it she wouldn't have been in quite so much pain. It all happened so quickly and they didn't even ask if I wanted to do a flu shot. I feel like its just expected and that I'm a bad mom if I say I don't want it. I gave her a sucker on the way home and I think I need to go find myself some serious comfort food, too.

She's growing perfectly, though ~ 29 lbs 6 oz (up 21 lbs and 2.5 oz since birth and about 10 lbs since 1 year) and 34 inches (up 13 inches since birth). Right around 70/80th percentile for both.

I think I'll make some birthday cupcakes this afternoon for tomorrow and let her eat as many as she wants to make up for the bad morning. Plus we got to the doctor's office at 11:20 (appt was at 11:30). It was almost noon before we got in to a room and 12:50 before we left. Dr. K. did spend quite a bit of time with us and gave me some great advice about preparing Alyssa for the new baby, but that's a LOT of wait time. Especially when it runs right through lunch/nap time.)

1 comment:

Angela Dwight said...

Gosh... glad I was in earlier in the day before the office got too far behind schedule!