Thursday, June 01, 2006

Time out!

Alyssa got her first time out tonight. I still feel like she's a little bit young, but its been a topic on my October board for a couple days now and some of the moms on there swear by it, so I gave it a shot. I'm really trying to break Alyssa of her habit of climbing up onto tables. I don't know what it is, but the girl is ENTHRALLED by table tops. Please tell me this isn't a sign that she's going to be a stripper or something when she grows up. Although I hear they make good money . . . and she is awfully cute . . .

Anyway ~ back to the story at hand. She was kneeling on a chair eyeing the table in "that way", so I told her that if she got back up on the table she would go to time out. Up she went without batting a eye, so I picked her up and carried her to the steps. Adam and I had decided that we would go the "naughty step" route, thank you Nanny 911 and Super Nanny. I put her down the bottom step and set the timer for 1 minute. She stayed there for all of about 3 seconds, so the rest of the 57 seconds I gently held her in a sitting position and ignored her cries and flailing limbs (okay it wasn't really THAT bad). Longest freakin' 57 seconds of my life! I don't know that she got anything out of it, but after the minute was up I explained that she was in time out because she climbed on the table and gave her a kiss. Let's hope something sunk in because I don't want to have to go through that again for a long time.

No comments: