Sunday, September 11, 2005

This day in history . . .

I feel the need this year to address the anniversary of September 11th. It brings back memories of a friendship that I held very dear to me for several years. My friend Jen was living with Adam and I on September 11th. She and I spoke several times that day about everything that was going on via phone as I headed Fremont to work in the theatre and for some reason every time I think about where I was that day, I instantly think of Jen. Our friendship has dwindled over the past couple years. We have been through so many big, life changing things together, I knew that I could count on her no matter what and I hate that we're nothing but a memory to each other anymore. I know that's largely my fault. I didn't make time for her the way I should have. I always allowed her to be the "started" of things in our friendship from the very start ~ I remember her calling me all the time just to chat after she had gotten home from work or just randomly throughout the day, but I don't remember doing that. She was always willing to ditch Odyssey for me just to go have lunch together. She was my crazy "do anything anywhere" friend. I treasure those memories. I can't imagine life without her, yet I've just let her slip away. True, she's 3 hours away now and not 3 feet in our guest room, but that's not a good excuse. Today has me wondering if its too late. I miss her. I think about her all the time. I wonder if she ever thinks of me.

No comments: