Saturday, September 03, 2005

Katrina and God

I read this quote on one of my mom's boards today and it made me feel sick to my stomach (thus, time for blogging! :) )

"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city," stated Repent America director Michael Marcavage. "From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence,' New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. From the devastation may a city full of righteousness emerge," he continued. New Orleans is also known for its Mardi Gras parties where thousands of drunken men revel in the streets to exchange plastic jewelry for drunken women to expose their breasts. This annual event sparked the creation of the "Girls Gone Wild" video series. In addition, Louisiana had a total of ten abortion clinics with half of them making their home in New Orleans. At these five abortion clinics in the city, countless numbers of children were murdered at the hands of abortionists. "We must help and pray for those ravaged by this disaster, but let us not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long," Marcavage said. "May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded. "

This makes me start to question my faith. I consider myself a Christian, always have. I realize that what this Marcavage guy is saying is similar to the story of Noah, but while I don't really doubt/have a hard time accepting the story of Noah, I can't believe that the Katrina devastation would be "Noah of the 21st Century". It makes me sick to think of babies and elderly dying because of abortion clinics, people who like to drink, and women who like to show off their "goods". I realize that these things are considered sins, so from a Christian stand point maybe they should be punished, but what about the rainbow and the promise God would never again destroy? God seems like a person to me who wouldn't go back on his word.

Then it makes me really angry that there are these people out there who chose to take a horrible act of NATURE and turn it into a God issue. Most Christians (or at least this Christian) was saddened by all the devastation, prayed for those impacted by it and their families, and searched for understanding of why/how this could have happened. But never once until reading this article did I think that it was God's way of punishing an "evil" city. And what about all the other people that were killed and lost their homes? What did they do wrong? I've visited New Orleans, and true it has a lot of sex, drinking, homosexuals, and other horrible sinners (said sarcastically), but what city doesn't? I loved New Orleans. I thought it was on of the most beautiful cities that I had visited, full of culture and diversity and new experiences and it makes me really sad to think about it gone.

I have a close friend who shared with me that she has thoughts that maybe the world is coming to an end. She brought up that there is something in the bible of when there is peace in the Middle East it will be a sign that the world is ending. Well, we're over their trying to bring peace, there was the all tsunami, now Katrina . . . it scares me to think about her theory. I don't want to think about the world ending.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://chuckcurrie.blogs.com/chuck_currie/2005/08/religious_right.html

Christi - check out the blog link above from a Christian who blogged about the comment you saw from "Repent America."

This view of God as "bringer of wrath and distruction" is as much an Old Testament view as anything. Anyone who takes any stock in the writings of the New Testament will know that this is not the Christian God.

The Christian God is a God of compassion and love, not hate and destruction. The people of "Repent America" are doing more to discredit Christianity than "purify" it.

Christi said...

Thanks for sharing that, Jeff. It was good to read some of those comments (others made me feel sicker). I just hate that people try to use tragic events to "shame" people.

Highlandgal said...

I've also had discussions with people about that article. I refuse to believe it. It was a consequence of nature. Hurricanes are not new. I'm sick and tired of people trying to squeeze the devastation of Katrina into their ideological agenda, whether is is Christian, Republican, Democrat, or Anti-American.