Thursday, September 15, 2005

Renewed Bookworm

Somewhere between the end of college and then end of my pregnancy I pretty much stopped reading. Actually until about 6 weeks ago I had stopped reading, unless it was US Weekly or a parenting magazine (or a baby blues book because DAMN I love that strip). This is from the girl that used to go to the mall with her mom and have her mom leave her in the bookstore while said mom went shopping so that I could sit on the floor and read Babysitters Club books. For as long as I can remember I have loved reading and have been a super fast reader, but for some reason I drifted away from that during my pregnancy and Alyssa's first few months. Maybe because all my spare time was spent attempting to catch up on sleep? Anyway, in the past 6 weeks or so I have filed about a dozen new books under my reading belt and it feels sooooo good to be reading again.

Awhile back on my October moms' board the idea for a book swap came up, so I immediately signed up thinking it sounded like tons of fun. The idea was that the person in charge would give you the name of someone who seemed to have the same taste in books that you did and you would send/receive two books. I received two books that I never, ever, ever would have read (probably). I was very skeptical about reading them, but I put a lot of effort into picking the books that I sent to my person, so I wanted to give them a try. I'm not the type of person to start a book and not finish it ~ I stick with it to the end. I have to say I really enjoyed both books. They were unlike anything I have ever read before, but that was kind of a refreshing change. Both of them seemed very grown up compared to the chick lit/Harry Potter rut I had been in, so it really got my brain to thinking. (Its nice knowing that Alyssa has sucked all the brain cells out of me yet ~ she's got to leave a few for her future siblings to destroy, right?). I hope the person I sent my books to enjoyed/will enjoy the books I sent as much as I enjoyed the ones I received. Thank you to my book sender who helped open my eyes to two really great books that I most certainly would have overlooked.

2 comments:

Shhh said...

Wow, Babysitters Club! That seems like a million years ago. Claudia was my favourite - I wanted to be her.

I used to get left in Waterstones too, curled up in the corner with a pile of books. People used to mistake me for a (very young) employee. I did help them out sometimes.

Really intrigued to know what the two books you received from book swap were...

Christi said...

How funny about the "volunteer employee"!

The books I received were: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon and "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Interesting reads.