Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A telemarketing call like no other . . .

I've heard my share of bizarre telemarketing calls after being in the "consulting" business for 2 years for various companies, but the call that I got at home yesterday may have taken the cake.
It was from one of those companies asking for money for veterans or police officers or fire fighters; the ones that I hate to say no to (and often have a hard time saying no to) because they have really great programs that work with kids, animals, and military people (all causes close to my heart). I went into my general "I'm sorry we can't donate, we just bought a new house, we have a new baby on the way, but maybe next time" response and I have to say that I was kind of rude about it because the guy kept trying to interrupt me. When he finally realized that I wasn't going to give any money he started chatting it up with me about the baby on the way asking if it was our first child, if we knew the sex, if we had a name picked out, etc. I told him we didn't have a name set in stone and jokingly asked if he had any suggestions. He was happy to inform me that he thought that we should name Bun in honor of a great man . . . Steve Irwin. True, Steve Irwin was a great person, but the thought of telling my child "yes, you were named after the crocodile hunter at the suggestion of a telemarketer" totally cracks me up. The guy spent a good 5 minutes trying to sell me on Steve Irwin; he was persistant with that part of his call!

On a similar note the teenage girls that work at the closest TCBY think that we should name the baby Jackson. I guess its true that everyone really does have an opinion.

And for the record we have not settled on a name yet, but it probably won't be Steve Irwin. Or Van. I named Alyssa's fish Van so that name would be out of running, maybe I should buy another one and name it Steve Irwin just to cover my bases.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about gerald in honor of the former president?

or geraldina for a girl?

4x4paws said...

Or how 'bout James, after James Brown?

Have I ever told you that if I'd been a boy, my dad wanted to name me Van Williford after some basketball player? My mom said, "Over my dead body."