Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Finding my place as a "homemaker"

I almost hate to blog about this ~ like I'm going to jinx myself and everything is going to fall apart. :)

When we moved into our house in April, I swore to myself that I was going to keep on top of all the housekeeping stuff. I promptly made a list of "house chores" and how many times a week they needed to be done that I kept on my computer and would mark off as they got done though out the week.

I don't think I ever had a "success" week where I finished all the chores (at least not as many times as I thought was the ideal amount), so my list kind of started gathering dust. As did a lot of the furniture in the house. lol

A few weeks ago a friend of mine was telling me about this schedule she got from the Motivated Moms website. Basically its a schedule designed by some stay at home moms that break down household chores into "tasks" that are supposed to take 2-5 minutes to help moms from getting overwhelmed by the thought of keeping up with everything in their household. After looking over the schedule I realized that it didn't really apply that well to *my* life as there were things that were left off and things that I didn't care about so much, so I decided to drag out my old household chores list and try to set up a weekly schedule for myself with chores that needed to be completed each day. My goal was to just have 3 or 4 things to do each day. I'm only on day 2, but its working really, really well for me. One of my chores for each day is to make the beds ~ something really simple, but something that I had a hard time doing in the past. I've also made it a point to set my alarm and get up, showered/dressed, and check my e-mail before Alyssa wakes up (unfortunately Alyssa has been waking up early, too, so I haven't been totally successful with this one, but I have noticed that waking up to an alarm instead of a child is making me a lot more patient throughout the day). I'm absolutely loving that I'm able to stick to this schedule and get things done that I would normally say "I'll do that tomorrow, I'm going to just be lazy today" when I just had a list of things that needed to be done during the week. And I've found that its a lot easier for me to sit down and REALLY enjoy hanging out with Alyssa. Before I felt anxious and guilty for sitting down and watching Sesame Street with her or just sitting and watching her play with her dolls, but now that I have this structure to my day I know that I can get everything I need to get done done and still have time to enjoy my sweet girl.

I feel like after 2 1/2 years of being a stay at home mom/wife I'm *finally* getting the hang of this. Now let's toss a newborn into the mix and watch it fall all apart, right? :)

3 comments:

PSUMommy said...

Wow, great job! I make a list like that for myself every once in a while. It usually lasts for about a month for me. And I've been a SAHM for almost 5 years now, LOL!

catankgirl said...

Sounds similar to FlyLady which I did a while back and was thinking about doing again. I like some of the concept, little steps, not feeling behind, being on top of the beds and getting dressed even.

I don't think we ever are totally on top of it all, I'm not anyway, but I'm getting better little by little too, in phases.

Nat said...

Thats great! I love lists. I have a list with the things that need to be done daily, things that need to be done weekly/monthly.

So everyday I'd make beds, wash dishes, do one load laundry, hoover up and cook food:) Then each day I will clean up a whole room. I usually put the laundry in first thing in the morning, then wash myself and get ready for the day and make my bed before the kids wake up, or even if they are awake, I still try to do these first:) And I alwasy do the dishes last thing before goign to bed:)

You will do great with a toddler an a baby I am sure!

Good luck!