Monday, January 15, 2007

I'm a bad aunt

My youngest niece called me yesterday to announce that it is once again Girl Scout cookie season and she wanted to know what/if I wanted to order. I put her off saying that I would call her today and let her know what we wanted after I talked to Adam.

I'm a bad aunt because I don't want to order from her
1) I'm not in the mood for girl scout cookies this year (I know, I know, someone get me to a doctor)
2) I get them about 6 months after everyone else because my sister has to get around to mailing them from Colorado. She won't mail them, btw, she'll wait until they come back here this summer, and hopefully remember to bring them with. And by that time the lovely cigarette smoke smell that stinks up everything they touch because my sister and brother-in-law are such chain smokers will have soaked well into my box(es) of cookies.
3) I'm constantly supporting her fundraisers because I feel obligated to buy CRAP and I know that my sister will probably never do that for my kids.

On the upside, ordering them through her living in Colorado cookies are 50 cents cheaper per box. That's like buying 7 boxes and getting the 8th box free!!!! (If I had enough extra money laying around to buy 8 boxes of cookies).

And now the really mean reason that I don't want to buy from her; she can't pronounce "cookies" correctly. She calls them "tookies". Which is cute when you're 3, but just annoying when you're 11. Now this isn't entirely her fault. Her teachers have been telling my sister that she should be in speech therapy of some sort since she was in first grade, but my sister refuses to believe that she needs any help. The situation is sad, really, but for some reason hearing "Aunt Tristi, its tookie time!" come across the phone line just annoyed the heck out of me yesterday.

I'm a horrible person.

2 comments:

4x4paws said...

You're not a bad aunt! You're just a regular person who doesn't want smoky cookies.

BTW, we bought cookies from a neighbor girl and had them sent to the troops. Is that an option with your niece?

Christi said...

What a great idea, Paula. I'm going to look into that.