Saturday, August 13, 2005

Too hot for kids!

I was reading a blog of an online friend of mine where she was talking about how much she loved the movie Grease as a child, but one of her parents was "offended" when she was singing some of the lyrics to the song. Made me think about some things . . . (so thanks for the inspiration, Alex! :) )

I had never see the actual movie Grease (on the edited version on TV) until I was watching it while babysitting for our next door neighbor's kids a couple years ago. The oldest was 4, I think, and watching her singing along to some of those songs and quoting the movie made my jaw drop at times. Its kind of a naughty movie at times!

I had the soundtrack in high school and listened to it all the time. I made up a baton routine for one of my twirling students to audition with to "Grease Lightening" . . . if only at the time I would have known that I was sending her off to twirl in front of judges to a song that drops the sh-bomb! I don't think anyone noticed, but it would have been frowned upon and I feel really guilty about it to this day.

A couple years ago while I was nannying for the summer one of my girls got addicted to watching reruns of "Three's Company". Now, I grew up watching reruns of it, too, and I loved the show, but I had such a hard time letting her watch it now that I really "got" the show! I felt that it was horribly inappropriate at times for a 10 year old to be watching, but I know that the "suggestive" things went over her head. I was still uncomfortable. And I used to watch the show all the time at my grandparents house. I wonder if it bothered them to let me watch it or if it all went over their heads, too?

4 comments:

colleen said...

What's really funny about this post is that i used to watch Three's Company when i was a kid...and NEVER knew the kind of stuff i was watching. I was so confused when my dad walked in one day and made me turn it off!

Highlandgal said...

lol! Yeah, even now that I "get" Three's Company I still think it's tame stuff. The real test is to watch it with an eight year-old and see if it makes you uncomfortable.

Highlandgal said...

P.S. Your blog gives me good ideas too. Look for a post on how much I love Autumn soon! I figured I'd better wait a decent interval. ;)

Jeanne said...

I used to watch Three's company as a kid too. Now you got me thinking, would I let Lexi watch it?