Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Home again, home again!

We are back from a relaxing and fun week in Colorado! We had a great time, but man oh man does it feel great to be home. I think even Alyssa is glad to be home and hanging out with her puppies again. She "performed" quite well for her aunt, uncles, and cousins while we were on vacation, but there's just a certain sparkle that has come out again since we got home. When I went to put her down in her crib about 10 minutes ago for the night she gave this contented little sigh like "ahhhh my bed!". Too cute!

Anywho . . . I would like to give a couple shout outs relating to the trip.

First of all to Eric and Angie for taking such great care of the house and the puppies. We appreciate you guys so much. You do an awesome job and you have no idea how great it is to know that we're leaving Lexi and Joey in such capable and loving hands. I think they miss you already!

Second of all to the person who came up with the FANTASTIC idea to put dvd players in vehicles. Not only does it entertain children, but it entertains adults and makes the trip go sooo much faster. Ahhh the joys of watching "Sex and the City" from the back of a van driving across possibly the most boring state in the US . . . priceless!

Third of all . . . to my Dad who HAD to have the van with all the bells and whistles. As dumb as I thought it was for my parents to have said DVD player in the back of their van . . . I don't know if I could ever imagine traveling without one.

Next I would like to give a "wazzup" to my parents. They were such a blessing taking care of Alyssa so that Adam and I could have "fun" time as well as just helping take care of and entertain her. They rock!

Next its time for "Things We Learned on our Trip to Colorado"

1. After emptying out an entire diaper bag, my dad FINALLY figured out what a sippy cup was and proudly relayed that information to anyone we came across during the week.
2. It is possible to enjoy a 10 hour drive with a 10 month old. But said 10 month old will scream bloody murder if you try to put her back in her carseat within 24 hours of reaching your destination.
3. Don't go shopping with my youngest niece within 6 months of her birthday or any other major holiday if you don't want to hear "you could by this for me for my birthday" every 5 seconds.
4. It is possible for a bathroom door to get shut and locked without anyone in the bathroom. And it only takes 4 men to break down the door.
5. If you want to see my sister move really fast say "John just got home next door" when said sister has to pee and said door from number 4 is still locked.
6. If you're ever near Denver go to the Coors brewery and do the tour. It might not be the most interesting thing in the world, but DUDE . . . its free BEER!

Okay, and finally for the run down on what we did on vacation . . .

the day after we got to my brother's all the girls (my mom, sister, nieces, Alyssa, and I) went to a quaint little mountain town to go shopping. I fell in love with this store where the owners do their own glass blowing. They had the most amazing little clear glass pool table with frosted pool cues and colored balls in a triangle ready to be broke, but I couldn't figure out anyone who was into pool enough to buy it for. I bought a lot of Christmas ornaments and little glass animals for Christmas presents. While shopping we did one of those "old time" photography pictures taken of my nieces and Alyssa for my dad for his birthday. I'm so glad we did it because it turned out absolutely adorable. I bet he'll love it ~ hopefully my mom can keep it hidden until November.

The next day a bunch of us drove to the top of Pikes Peak. Okay, my brother drove and the rest of us rode along and tried to hold down our lunches. :) It was an amazing view, but it was darn COLD up there!

Our first day in Denver Adam, Alyssa and I met up with Chris and Jen to go to the aquarium. It was really pretty cool ~ a lot like the Omaha aquarium at the zoo, but had more exhibits. It was cute seeing Alyssa "interact" and watch all the fish.

Monday was "date day" and I actually kept everything a surprise from Adam! This is a huge accomplishment as I am one of those people who can't keep a secret when it comes to surprises and presents. I had told Adam that my parents were going to watch Alyssa so that we could go out to dinner, but I didn't tell him that I also booked a hotel room for that night and that Alyssa was staying with my parents. That afternoon my mom, Jean, and I drove downtown so that I could check in. I put a bottle of wine in the ice bucket and spelled out "I love you" in chocolates on the bed. Corny, huh? Adam was totally surprised and we had so much fun. One of us, whom shall remain nameless, but let's just say the nursing mother took advantage of not having to nurse the baby Monday night, got MIGHTY DARN drunk! We had such a great time just hanging out with each other, without having to focus our attention on Alyssa or 1/2 listen for her to wake up in the back ground.

Our last day in Denver we visited the Coors Brewery (see free beer comment above!). It was really pretty interesting, but the best part was definitely the taste testing/sampling. Adam got our money's worth for us since Dad didn't drink at all and I just sipped. :)

And again, we had fun, but its sooo good to be home.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Welcome back! Thanks for posting notes about your trip!

~ Boomer

Angela Dwight said...

It's SO good to have you guys home too!! Thanks for trusting us to watch your dogs and house. We'll do it anytime for you!!