Monday, August 22, 2005

Just a homemaker?!

I know this has happed to a lot of SAHMs out there . . . you get the inevitable "JUST a homemaker/housewife/stay a home mom" comment. Like you don't have a REAL job, you JUST stay at home all day, eat chocolate, watch soaps, twiddle your thumbs, and suck your big, strong, paycheck-bring-home-man dry in the moola department because you're too lazy to bring in money yourself. Yep, that's me.

So today I'm at the bank to make changes to our savings account and the personal banker was making sure that they had all of our information current. He asked me if I still worked for the devil, I mean the company that had gainfully (or maybe not so much) employed me previous to becoming JUST a homemaker. I said that I was currently a stay at home mom, which followed him to ask "How long have you been JUST a homemaker?". Oh right Mr. Skinny-ass, got bad hair, sit behind a desk so I must be important Mr. Personal Banker I'm one of those horrible women who have completely worthless lives as a "homemaker".

Who would have thought this tiny comment would have gotten me so riled up?!

And besides . . . . homemaker?! Yes, that's right, I made this house with my own two hands! We had a home before I quit my job, but back then I was a performance analyst and I'm not currently making a home as far as I know, so "homemaker" doesn't really fit my job description, does it?

Although, then it can be argued like Wanda says in "Baby Blues" . . . if I'm a stay at home mom, why am I always in the car?!

Then I come home and look around at the trash and the toys and the mess and the dust and the doghair and think . . . I'm just a complete failure at this "homemaker" business. I don't think I'm too bad of a mom, but I should be fired from being a homemaker.

4 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

That man needs a lesson in manners.What a jerk!
I'd be pissed too.

Domestic Engineer?
That one might work if said with a completely serious face.
I sometimes get great guffaws when I use that,which are then quickly followed by dead silence as they try to squirm away from my nasty glare,heh.

Angela Dwight said...

Wow... I can't believe someone would say that to you. He sure has a lot of nerve. He obviously doesn't understand the meaning of a Homemaker.

4x4paws said...

Makes you want to take your money elsewhere, doesn't it? What a dork.

Stephanie and Gary said...

This post resonated with me so much. I have felt and said your words. I have felt like a failure too in the "home maker" department. Surely, I need to clean my car too. A family of squirrels might live in it and I would never know. However, I too used to work in the business world and being a SAHM is the chapter of life I'm in now. I often struggle with the SAHM title and sometimes, if a new person I meet asks, I throw in "I also periodically work freelance." I don't know why, it just makes me feel better ;-) Love your honesty!!