Monday, August 08, 2005

Alyssa update

Now for a happier blog entry. :)

Alyssa has always shown a fondness for Joey, our pomeranian. Unfortunately Joey does NOT feel the same way, so she often takes to hiding under the bed when Alyssa is within a 20 foot radius of her. Well, now Alyssa has figured out that Joey hides under the bed, so she's often seen trying to peer under the bedskirt to see if she's under there. And if you're in the bedroom and say "Where's Joey?" she'll lean over and try to crawl under the bed. She's also started doing this thing where she'll give this high pitched yell "AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" and start charging after Joey and double the normal crawl speed. Cracks me up every time . . . I so need to get this on video.

She's gotten quite obsessed with opening and shutting doors lately. She loves pushing a door shut and then pulling it open to play "peek a boo" with whatever might happen to be on the other side. This weekend she was in her room and was playing with her door as Adam and I stood outside admiring our small creation. Then Adam tried to push the door open so that he could go inside and she slammed it shut on him. "Jeez Dad, I need my privacy!". A glimpse into the future, about 13 years down the road!

And a sappier note. Last week when we were at my parents Alyssa fell asleep on my shoulder. I caught a glimpse of her lying limp in my arms as I walked passed a mirror and I had to stop and stare at the CHILD in my arms. No longer is she a baby with legs that barely reach my waist when I'm holding her up against my shoulder. All of the sudden she's this long child with legs that dangle down to mid thigh. She's growing up so fast! I hope I never forget the way it feels to have her head tucked into the crook of my neck and to feel her soft hair against my cheek. I hope I never forget the way her face will light up in a smile, just for a second, as she's sleeping in my arms as if she knows some wonderful secret, but then she remembers she's supposed to "play it cool" and keep a straight face again. I hope I never forget the way she often smells sweet like berries and how her breath tickles my neck when she falls asleep against my shoulder. Goodness I love this kid! For every moment, good and bad, I am so thankful that I have her and I have no idea what I would do without her.

1 comment:

4x4paws said...

It just takes your breath away sometimes, doesn't it?