Monday, July 28, 2008

Mamma Mia

Amy and I went to see Mamma Mia yesterday afternoon. What a great movie ~ it gets two thumbs up from both of us. Amy rushed out immediately after the movie to Target and bought the soundtrack and I bought it off of iTunes last night and put it on my iPod this morning before heading to the gym. I didn't really know the story line behind the musical before seeing previews for the movie even though I was very familiar with the title and I also didn't realize how many songs I would recognize while watching it. Although now I wonder if I'll really appreciate seeing the musical live ... I was always so glad that I saw "Rent" with a live touring group before seeing the movie.

I was watching the bride-to-be welcome her two best friends to her wedding preparations and the mother of the bride-to-be do the same and I started daydreaming about Alyssa's future. I wondered if Amy and I would be preparing for our daughters' wedding days together like we prepared for their other firsts like their first day of dance or upcoming first days of preschool. I wonder if Alyssa and Sophie will be as close then as they are now or if time will draw them apart. And then I started thinking back to my childhood best friend and wondering what it would have been like if we would have continued to grow up practically next door to each other. Distance is hard on a friendship when you're 10. We have several kids right around Alyssa's age in our neighborhood; I'm looking forward to seeing how they/if they play a role in each other's lives as they get older. But I'm willing to be patient; they don't need to grow up too quickly.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

I was coerced into seeing Mamma Mia (the play), which ended up being great... as for the movie version, sounds fun, though it's awkward to think of ol' Pierce trying to sing, yeeesh