Saturday, August 12, 2006

Paranoid, much?

Alyssa and I got home about 30 minutes ago from the inlaws for a "Congrats Ben Dinner" (oldest bil got his MBA today, woo hoo!). Anyway, I quickly let the dogs out, hit the bathroom myself, and then went upstairs to get Alyssa ready for bed. As we were getting ready to sit down to read books I heard Joey start barking furiously. Which isn't that big of a shocker, but when Lexi started in too, I had to go check things out. I could see that someone was at the door, so I left Alyssa at the top of the steps and ran down to see who was there.

There was a good looking "kid" (I'm guessing around 18ish) standing there. I opened the door, but kept the screen door shut and he explained that he lives a couple blocks away, goes to UNL, was on the dean's list and just got selected to go study in France and Italy for a semester with 12 other students (off topic ~ how cool would that be?!). He said his mom had paid for 1/2 the trip, but he had to come up with the other half, so he was doing some fundraising. I told him that I was just getting ready to put Alyssa to bed and asked if he could come back tomorrow. He got this kind of shifty look on his face and said something along the line of "I've only got 2 more packages of kids books left, so I'm not going to be doing this much longer". I considered checking out what he had to offer, but insisted that I needed to get Alyssa to bed, so he left.

Halfway through his "speech" I realized that I unconsciously locked the screen door since my hand was on the handle. And as I went back upstairs to read to Alyssa I felt really uneasy for some reason. Almost like he was casing the joint. I hope Adam gets home soon because my tummy is all sorts of topsy turvy. I kinda wish we had an alarm/security system (besides a 100 lb golden retriever and a 11 lb pomeranian, that is).

1 comment:

4x4paws said...

I don't blame you a bit for feeling uncomfortable. It was likely only those awful magazine subscription scams but still.