Monday, August 14, 2006

I feel like such a sucky mom today

The day started out good . . . we went to jazzercise, stopped by McD's for lunch to get Alyssa "nunnets", played a little "hide in the closet" and then happily went down for a nap. Fast forward to about 3 PM. Within about 20 minutes she insisted her DVD be changed about 7 times. She drives me NUTS when she toddles up to the entertainment center, pulls open the glass front, and pushes the "open" button on the DVD player, pulls the DVD out, brings it to me and says "Done", then freaks out until I let her pick out another one. So I had finally had it, told her no more TV/DVDs for the rest of the day and decided to go outside. Normally a favorite activity of hers and its actually not insanely humid out. We were outside for 30-40 minutes and I think she cried for about 90% of that time. She cried because I wouldn't let her keep going up and down the next door neighbors slide (its a BIG slide and makes me nervous when there aren't two of us there to watch her AND I feel weird having her play in their yard when they aren't out, even though I know they don't care). She cried because on our walk around the block I wouldn't let her wander up the side street and play with some other kids that we've never met and were a lot older than her and their Barbie jeep. She cried because I tried to make her play in the front yard instead of the back yard because we have no flipping trees in the backyard and it gets HOT with the sun beating down on me and I have no tolerance for heat in my pregnant condition. I moved all the toys she was playing with to the front AND pulled out the chalk. The only time she stopped crying was when the garbage man was picked up Robb and Crystal's yard waste and I think she only stopped crying then because she was too scared to cry. She cried when I suggested walking around the block. She cried when I picked her up to carry her inside.

I finally broke down and put in another DVD (actually 2, because one is never good enough) to get about 20 minutes of peace while I made supper. And now I'm watching her and Adam walk down the street together and she seems so happy and I feel like a fat, frumpy, funless mom. And I'm not sure if I'm cut out for the SAHM gig.

4 comments:

4x4paws said...

Hopefully the good days and the bad days average out over time. I hope today is better for you.

PSUMommy said...

There must have been something in the air yesterday. And today, didja have a bad day today,too? 'Cause I did.

Many internet hugs to you. Being a SAHM is- I feel- one of THE most difficult jobs. Ever. I feel so often that all I ever do is yell/discipline, change diapers, discipline some more and then just plop them in front of the TV because I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE. But then you'll have those great days- the ones where the kids are so cute & funny and getting along and there aren't any fights, and then you realize why you're staying home.

I hope today was better for you!

Christi said...

Yesterday was better because we met my Adam downtown for lunch and when you factor in lunch and drive time and the fact that Alyssa slept in, I only had to really "mommy" for about 2 hours. I can handle that. But I keep feeling I could be doing better.

PSUMommy said...

I know how you feel...I'm constantly feeling like I could do *better*. Darn kids. They make me work hard!

And I giggled at 'my Adam'...are you sure it wasn't my Adam? I lost him for a bit yesterday around lunch...lol!