Tuesday, October 18, 2005

You gotta love my "adopted" family

A bit of a background for this post. One of my mom's best friends, Becky, is like a second mom to me. Her sons are like brothers to me and her entire family has "adopted" my family, so I have this wonderful, loud, sometimes inappropriate, extended family for get togethers. These get togethers always include "adult beverages" and it is a widely known fact that it doesn't take much for my mother to get, a bit silly. So my "uncle" Craig is constantly talking about my mom's "drinking problem" how she's a "drunk" ect ~ its quite the family joke.

Last weekend my parents, Becky (my other mom), Jim (her husband), my mom's friend Mary (who is also part of the adopted family), and I went out for dinner after Alyssa's birthday party. We went out for Mexican and since Mom's birthday was Sunday, all the older ladies decided to partake in a margarita. Becky took very "unflattering" pictures of my mom and Mary drinking their rather large margaritas (and yes, they both got quite tipsy and loud by the end of the night) and then we had a picture taken of Becky and I drinking out of her "junior" margarita. So Becky e-mailed pictures out of all of us drinking with the subject "should we be concerned?". Here's the comentary that followed because it CRACKS ME UP!!!


Concerned? We're way beyond that at this point. Mary was always such a
positive role model for poor Sandy; and now the pictures are proof she has
succumbed to the evil of drink as well. Now Becky is aiding in the
corruption of dear Christi - perhaps the only hope for all of you beside
prayers (or lighting candles in Mary's case), is the following:

Alcohol - Drug Treatment Referral 1-800-454-8966

Gordon Recovery Centers 1-800-472-9018

Jackson Recovery Centers 755-7002

Midwest Iowa Alcohol & Drug Weekend 627 - 4289

I have been told that these programs only work when you have reached rock
bottom. I am not so sure about Mary, Christi, and Becky - but there is no
doubt that Sandy hit that point a long time ago.
Just remember Sandy, with Jesus all things are possible.

Craig

Rightfully so, we should be concerned. I have worked drug rehab, and I am
fearful of the peer pressure being placed on Mary. I do believe there is
hope for Sandy. She can leave all of her alcohol at my house. Just one
personal question.....did Norm benefit from all of Sandy's drinking that
evening?
Kris

I must set the record straight.
I was not swayed by Sandy's bad example. I made a decision long ago not to
follow her down the ugly path she has chosen.
But you see--
How can I explain? What can I say?
I guess the truth is best.
It was concern--concern for my dear friend Becky--your beloved sister,
Becky, that drove me to drink on Saturday night.
You see, Jim, your beloved sister's husband, was so preoccupied by what he
saw at the birthday party--that knock-out blonde's purple _____.
Becky smiled bravely, but I knew how distraught she must be. She drank, I
think, to dull the pain. When Becky asked me to have a drink too, I just
couldn't say no.

As for our dear friend Sandy--do you think it may be time for the inevitable
intervention?
Mary

Ahhh, I love these people!

PS ~ It was a purple THONG that got Jim's attention, for anyone who was wondering.

1 comment:

Adam said...

"knock-out blonde", huh? I _so_ want to tell my brother.