Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Happy First Birthday Baby

About this time one year ago today the "magic epidural man" was working his wonders on me while I was in labor. At that time I was so excited about my dream of becoming a mom coming true in just a few short hours, but I had no idea the impact you and becoming a mom would have on my life.

I had no idea that I could love someone this much. I had no idea that someone could bring me such incredible joy and happiness. That one look could make me feel like the most important person in the world (and on the flip side, one tear could make me feel like the world's most horrible person). It’s been a rollercoaster ride, but I’m glad to have experienced it with you and I look forward to next years of surprises, ups, and downs.

You are so brave. I was really worried that you would be a timid child because I was really shy when I was younger. I didn't like spending time with people I didn't know well, I was nervous to take on challenges when I wasn't sure what the outcome would be, and I was happier being shown/led than figuring things out on my own. You, my baby girl, are the exact opposite! You seem to have no fear. You face challenges head on, you are curious, determined, stubborn, and you never given up. You don't let failure hold you back; you try again until you succeed. I hope you always hold onto that, and know that I will always be there to be your cheerleader.

You make me laugh. You love "finding" Joey hidden under the bed. You think she's hiding because she's playing with you ~ little do you know, she's hiding because she's terrified of you. She'll growl and yelp as you get closer to inching your way under the bed, but you will just squeal with delight and keep it up. Hearing you giggle is my favorite sound in the whole world. You get this mischievous little look on your face when you do something you know you're not supposed to and it takes every bit of my willpower not to totally melt because you are so darn cute. Last night Daddy went to toss you up onto his shoulders (one of your favorite places to be) and you threw up on his head. I couldn't help but laugh at that, too, and amazingly, even Daddy found the humor in the situation. He's come a long way from a guy that was totally grossed out by spit up or feeding you sweet potatoes when you got too messy.

Happy Birthday Peanut. Wishing you happiness always ~ happiness like the kind that you've given to me.

Love always,
Mommy

6 comments:

Adam said...

Awwwww....

Angela Dwight said...

Sorry, Adam... I have to laugh too that Alyssa got sick on your head. :)

Highlandgal said...

Happy Birthday Miss Alyssa! You sure are lucky to have a mommy who loves you sooooo much! Hope your special day is wonderful!

Mom23Boys said...

Sniff, sniff. That was beautiful Christi, and now I am in tears! I have to tell you that as you have loved watching Alyssa grow up this year, I have loved watching you and Adam evolve as parents this year. You are such an inspiration! You are so wonderful with Alyssa, and it shows in what a well adjusted, sweet, adorable child she is. Thanks for letting us be a part of your journey!

Christi said...

Aww, Christy, now I'M crying! Thanks for being part of our journey ~ we love you guys!!!

4x4paws said...

Sniff. Sniff. That was so sweet.