Thursday, October 20, 2005

No wonder today's kids don't know what the funny looking orange thing is on their plate . . .

FYI, its a carrot.

One of the mom's on my October board was talking about getting a shopping cart and play food for her daughter. I thought that was a really cool idea, so yesterday Alyssa and I hit Toys R Us with a gift card from Uncle Ben hot in our hands. This mom had mentioned that most of the play food was all junk food, but they did find some fruits and veggies to buy for her daughter's shopping. Not so at our Toys R Us. They had NO fruits/veggies/healthy food to buy. They had the KFC kit, the McDonald's Kit, the dessert kit (ice cream, cake, pie, ect), but no good old fashioned fruits, veggies, soup cans, ect that I remember from "the good old days". The only thing they had that was even close was this frying pan that came with a hamburger, buns, and some tomatoes and lettuce you could put on the burger. Just not the same. So no wonder kids today want to live off fast food and scream and run if you put the smallest hint of a healthy food on their plates . . . its foreign to them! For all they know if they aren't eating fries and chicken nuggets they're going to DIE!

For anyone who cares we ended up buying a Cabbage Patch stroller (to go with the doll that Grandma K is holding hostage) and a set of keys that make fun noises when you push buttons. There's one button that makes all sorts of honking noises ~ makes me feel like I'm driving through New York City or something when I'm cruising down Dodge St at rush hour. Fun for Alyssa and Mommy!

I was up at about 5 this morning, so I got the great idea to do a search on the Little Tykes website for play food to see if they had more options on their website. Nope. So, then I hit ebay thinking that maybe people were selling some old school stuff. I got the name of a brand that looked like it had some good stuff, so I did a search for their products. Know where the only place you can buy it in town is? Home Depot. Now why didn't I think of that?! Silly me going to Toys R Us . . .

1 comment:

Adam said...

Home Depot!? For food? Crazy...

BTW, I GOL when I read "the doll that Grandma K is holding hostage".