Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Mommy stuff

I haven't updated in a long time, so here's my attempt . . . boring as it is.

I'm trying to get Alyssa's birthday party invitations made before the weekend in case we decide to go to Colorado. I have a cute theme and some good coordination going on, but I'm just not getting "IT". I put a lot of pressure on msyelf to have "perfect" invitations. People have come to expect it from me, and frankly, I enjoy the praise . . . makes me feel good about myself. Everyone needs a little pick me up/pat on the back, right?

I've been feeling really down lately about not feeling like I'm doing "enough" with Alyssa. I had visions when I thought about being a stay at home mom of play dates and going to Mommy and Me classes and having coffee with all my SAHM friends. As they say, reality BITES! Not that I don't LOVE being a SAHM and I'm soo thankful that I'm able to spend my days with her, I just feel like sometimes we just sit around and stare at each other. I feel like I should be spending the entire day teaching her things or doing activites with her and it just doesn't happen. I blame Dora and her gang. When I was a kid the only kids show on during the day was Sesame Street or Mr. Rogers. Now you've got ALL these choices of kids shows and so kids are knowing how to count, write, identify colors/numbers/shapes, speak multiple languages, ect by age 2. I don't think I knew that until at least 4 or 5. Its a lot of pressure to be the mommy to an almost 2 year old.

Anyway, to make a long story short (and to get to bed relatively soon), I've decided to sign Alyssa and I up for a gymnastics/tumbling type class at MyGym for 8 weeks. She'll have her regular class for an hour each week and then we can go for 2 "Free Play" sessions a week. I'm hoping that maybe it'll work out that Adam could take her to one of these on the weekend or in the evening for some daddy/daughter time. I'm also going to sign her up for "Shrimp" swimming lessons at the YMCA. I mentioned something to Angie about this today and it sounds like she and Eric may be interested in taking Lenka, too, which would be a great time! We don't get to hang out with the Dwights NEARLY enough anymore. Now we just need Chad and Jenn to bring Gabe and Alyssa's boyfriend Noah and we could have "Margarita night ~ family style"!

1 comment:

Jennifer Paulk Baker said...

That would be awesome! Are the gymnastics or swimming classes in the evening? I wanna sign Gabe and Noah up for that. Then Noah could see his cutie pie girlfriend every week! That would make him a happy boy, and me a happy mommy cause you and I could hang out! Tell Chad to give you my number and we can get together and take the kiddos to the Pumpkin Patch or somethin! Miss ya!!!!