Friday, July 29, 2005

This week I love . . . My Daddy!

Okay, I love my dad every week, but last week I had the "I love the Dwights" entry, so this week its my "I love my Dad" entry. I'm a total Daddy's Girl. I would happily admit it to anyone in the world. He is one of my favorite people on the earth and I admire and respect him and his opinions so much.

BUT the man is almost 70 years old and from the "non computer" generation. Pretty much the only thing he knows how to do on the computer is play Solitare or Hearts and he's content with that. My mom has tried to show him several times how to e-mail, but he just doesn't get it. So, my mom left Tuesday for Alaska for two weeks. I've made a promise to myself that I'm going to call or e-mail my dad every day just to say "hi" and keep him company. Last night he called me and the first words out of his mouth were "this dumb computer . . . ". Since he has Parkingson's a lot of times when he's playing his games his hand will jerk unexpectedly and he'll end up clicking on something random and screwing something up. I was so afraid that he had done that again this time and I was going to have to try to talk my "old school" Dad through fixing his computer. But he was trying so hard to reply to my e-mail as a surprise to me, but couldn't quite figure it out.

I walked him through replying and he was so determined to figure it out. As we continued to talk I kept hitting Send/Receive on my computer and I wasn't getting his e-mail. I was so scared that I was going to have to tell him that it didn't work when DING! I had mail from him! I was so proud of him and I have to admit I got really teary eyed! So I replied to him that it had worked and then before bed I was checking my e-mail and he had replied again all on his own!

I wonder if I'll be this proud and emotional the first time Alyssa walks! *wink*

3 comments:

Angela Dwight said...

That is so touching! I had tears in my eyes after reading it. How cool!!

colleen said...

That's wonderful...made me smile. My grandma has Parkinson's, too...so i know how hard it is to watch someone you love go through it.
Good work on your blog...i don't have kids or anything (i'm 22) but i always enjoy reading about other people's lives and experiences!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!