Sunday, November 04, 2007

The "T" word

Yesterday marked the 4th time in 6 weeks that I took Joel to Dr. K's office to have his ears checked and each time we were sent home with a new medication to try. Yesterday we also left with a referral to an ENT (ear, nose and throat doctor) to set up a time to have tubes put in his ears. I had a feeling that news was coming, but I still didn't like getting it. I know that its a really common and simple procedure, but I still hate to think about it. But if it'll make Joel feel better that's all that really matters.

The really amazing thing that happened at our appointment yesterday was that there's always been this big ball of wax in one of his ears that prevented doctors from getting a good look in his ear. But we saw 3 different people and each one said that they didn't want to dig around too much in his ear and since they knew the other ear was infected they didn't really need to see that ear. Well, yesterday Dr. K got the "ball" of wax out. This sucker was a little thicker than the ink insert of a ballpoint pen and almost an inch long. I don't know how on earth something like that could have been stuck in my little guy's little ear! The really cute thing was that after that Joel kept touching his ear like he couldn't believe he could hear out of it. :)

No comments: